Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Melody of Autism

Almost exactly four years ago, I had decided to become a stay at home mom. I was living in the Bronx, with all my friends "over the bridge" and felt really isolated. I quickly knew I had to find some new friends fast. I found a local SAHM group and met Michele, who remains one of my closest friends to this day. Michele and I eventually went on to start our own SAHM group and that is where I met Faith.

Faith is probably one of the most remarkable women I have ever met. She is beautiful, articulate, funny and ambitious. She has decided to homeschool her children and is also raising a son with autism. She does everything with such grace and patience and I really admire her strength of spirit.

Recently, Faith shared with me that she was planning to hold a fundraising event called "The Melody of Autism" which was to celebrate the music and joy
inspired by autism. I knew I
wanted to help. I provided a
Creative Corner Designs gift
certificate as a gate prize and
created a guestbook for the
event. The event was amazing...
inspiring...moving. I found
myself fighting back tears with
each new speaker and each new
performance. The talent that
filled the room was phenomenal
and beyond that, the message
of optimism and faith was one
that I will never forget. It was
a day where everyone stopped
and recognized all the beauty and
blessings that autism has brought
into our lives.

To find out more about Faith and her journey with her family and the Son-Rise program, visit her blogs:


Here are a few video clips from the event. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Very inspirational! Thanks for posting the video of Faith's talk. She is so amazing, so insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, Jen. It was so wonderful having you there. I have attended things other people have put onm but not fully understood how comforting and supportive it is to have friends around until this event. The guest book is wonderful, your presence was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jen, your post is so special. Thank you for sharing Faith with all of us!

    ReplyDelete